Wednesday, October 1, 2008

JBJ-R.I.P.



He was a man worth his salt. His steadfastness and righteousness was there for all to see. It is a shame that we do not have anyone, and I repeat anyone, on both sides of the border to match him.
He was a very approachable person and talked to anyone who acknowledged him. A simple man, with his trade mark side-burns, collared T-shirts and short pants and sandals… popped into JB very often for his thosai and air suam.
My first encounter with him was in the late 1980s at the Kerala outlet and I was sort of mesmerised to start a conversation with him. However, the many repeated encounters somewhat thawed my anxiety and thereafter we were familiar to each other. He would always address me, “Hello, young man”, and I would call him “Sir” and our conversation would usually centre on the political happenings of our countries.
Can I equate him with Karpal? No, he was a few notches above him. Can I equate him with D R Seenivasagam? Yes, he was as fearless as DRS, a fighter at that.
I also had the misfortune to meet up with him after the demise of his wife - and that was the only time he was at his lowest. His eyes welled with tears as he spoke to me of his only love. He really felt bad for her and regretted that he did not do enough for her. It was a moment that has stood memorably for me thus far.
He advised me repeatedly to stop my smoking habit. He told me that LKY was an incorrigible smoker during the 60s and eventually became a non-smoker. I will never forget his fatherly advice tho’ I still puff away.
I feel privileged to have befriended a LEGEND who was a simpleton fighting for the masses.
And he never expected any returns.
May his soul rest in peace.



It is truly a sad occasion to face the passing of such a gentle soul with an unshakable sense of justice and a mighty heart. But it is just as heartening to know that everyone who has written about his demise have only kind words for JBJ. He deserves them all. Whether the PAP government and LKY appreciate him or not speaks of their humanity. For JBJ did his best and gave his all. He should be resting well in peace now.


this man is a believer,....stubborn to the core.....yet, humble citizen, your uncle, you granpa or whatever he is to you, could have taken an easier path in life, with his wealth that he had previously, and migrated back to sri lanka, and happily lived ever after", but noooo....Man, he fought, he fought for ...so called "Singaporeans" he fought for everyone in that country, be it rich or poor, u may have heard about gandhi, nehru and etc, well welcome to the next generation, JBJ......he is a LION....his spirit is endless...till his deathbed...he tried to make a change, he fought a lonely war....not that singaporeans don support him, but singaporeans hands are tied....and there isnt much that one could do to march down the road with him. But he was stubborn, he chose to fight a war, rather than resolve issues peacefully. For that, he lost his wealth, and many more. Neverthless, a great man he is, a LEGEND, and hence be proud, be real proud.......We all know its too much to ask for when we say "rest in peace" for he still havent finish or achieve what he started, but from the bottom of one's heart...JBJ thanks for everything...PLEASE rest in PEACE...u deserve it for all your efforts....


Here is one of his last public speeches in 2007.



WORKERS' PARTY Statement On The Passing Of Mr J. B. Jeyaretnam
Wednesday, 1 October 2008, 12:27 am

No comments: